Bravo’s “Tim Gunn’s Guide to Style” brings the elegance, expertise, and signature charm of fashion guru Tim Gunn into viewers’ homes. Premiering in 2007, this reality TV series offers a unique blend of makeovers, style transformations, and invaluable fashion advice. Tim Gunn and co-host Veronica Webb take individuals on a journey toward discovering their true style potential.
The Tim Gunn Touch
At the forefront of “Tim Gunn’s Guide to Style” is the incomparable Tim Gunn, a revered figure in the fashion industry known for his role on “Project Runway” and his timeless catchphrase, “Make it work.” In this series, Gunn shifts his focus from aspiring designers to everyday individuals, sharing his wealth of fashion knowledge and mentorship.
The premise of the show centers on fashion makeovers, where individuals who feel stuck in a style rut or are struggling with their wardrobe choices receive a much-needed transformation. Tim Gunn and Veronica Webb guide them through discovering their style, helping them shed outdated looks and embrace a wardrobe that reflects their authentic selves.
“Tim Gunn’s Guide to Style” places a strong emphasis on the creation of a Style Profile for each participant. This detailed profile outlines their body shape, lifestyle, and personality, serving as the foundation for the fashion journey ahead. Tim Gunn’s meticulous approach ensures that the style transformation is not just about following trends but about crafting a wardrobe that is both timeless and tailored to the individual.
Shopping with Purpose
A significant aspect of the show involves the participants embarking on a shopping spree with Tim Gunn and Veronica Webb. Armed with the insights from the Style Profile, the hosts guide them through the fashion world, imparting wisdom on fit, fabric, and the importance of investing in quality pieces. The shopping experience becomes a hands-on lesson in curating a wardrobe that aligns with personal style and embraces one’s unique features.
Fashion Dos and Don’ts
Throughout each episode, Tim Gunn shares his iconic “Tim-isms,” offering valuable dos and don’ts regarding fashion. From understanding the importance of tailoring to the transformative power of accessories, Gunn imparts his style wisdom with humor, encouragement, and a genuine desire to see individuals embrace their best selves.
Production Company and Executive Producers
Tim Gunn’s Guide to Style is produced by Stone & Company Entertainment for Bravo. Scott A. Stone and Sarah-Jane Cohen are executive producers. Karen Kunkel Young is the co-executive producer.
List of Episodes
Tim Gunn’s Guide to Style ran for two seasons and 16 episodes. All episodes are available to stream on Amazon.com.
- S1 E1 – Rebecca Pennino – In the first episode, Tim Gunn helps Rebecca deal with her fear of dressing like an adult. Tim brings Veronica Webb to help her learn how to buy the right clothes. Along the way, they help Rebecca feel more confident and secure.
- S1 E2 – JeAnne Swinley – JeAnne doesn’t know how to shop for herself, much less how to dress. Tim and Veronica Webb are here to lend a hand. Gunn introduces her to his “essential shopping list,” which includes ten basic pieces. However, JeAnne still struggles with being comfortable with herself.
- S1 E3 – Nicole Appelman – Tim and Veronica help Nicole, a new wife and mom, find her inner fashion sense. They teach her how to be a hot mom.
- S1 E4 – Stephanie – In this episode, Tim helps Stephanie, a pediatrician who dresses a little too much like a doctor. He helps her create a look to fit her body frame and accomplish an air of sophistication.
- S1 E6 – Elena – Elena is a mom who finds it hard to let go of her college look. Gunn and Webb help her with a more mature still with a hint of youthfulness.
- S1 E7 – Gina – Gina is a retired police officer who needs to prepare for an upcoming wedding. She wants to find a glamorous look. Time and Veronica help her build a wardrobe with ten essential items.
- S1 E8 – Lori – Lori lost confidence in her looks after a severe injury. Gunn and Webb help her prepare for her wedding day with a series of vibrant new looks.
- S1 E9 – Karen – Karen is worried about getting old. Tim and Veronica help her prepare her age-appropriate style for a meeting with more than 200 people. First, they give her advice on how to shop for clothes. Then, they explain how to find clothes that fit her particular body.
In the second season, Tim Gunn gets a new co-host, Gretta Monahan. Gretta is a fashion expert and stylist who owns Grettacole Spas and Salons and Luxe Boutiques.
- E1 – Season 2 Premiere –
- E2 – Angela –
- S2 E3 – Ali –
- S2 E4 – Caroline –
- S2 E5 – Diana –
- S2 E6 – Eliza –
- E7 – Ariana –
- E8 – Erica –
Critical Response and Awards
- The series has a rating of 6.8 out of 10 stars on IMDB and 7.3 out of 10 on TV.com.
- The series has 4 out of 5 stars on Amazon Video.
The show goes beyond the superficial aspects of fashion, emphasizing style’s impact on one’s confidence and self-esteem. The show celebrates the transformative nature of clothing, showcasing how a well-curated wardrobe can empower individuals to navigate life with poise and authenticity. While “Tim Gunn’s Guide to Style” had a relatively brief run, its impact on the fashion landscape and the lives of its participants is enduring. Tim Gunn’s mentorship and style guidance continue to resonate with audiences, and the show remains a beloved gem in the realm of fashion-centric reality television.
The show is more than just a makeover show; it’s a masterclass in fashion education and personal empowerment. Tim Gunn’s genuine passion for helping individuals discover their true style shines through, making it a must-watch for fashion enthusiasts and anyone looking to elevate their wardrobe with purpose and panache.
Questions & Comments
Please post a message below if you have any questions, comments, or feedback about the series.