“Platinum Hit” was a reality television competition that aired on Bravo. The show first premiered on May 30, 2011, and ran for one season with ten episodes. Hosted by Jewel, a well-known singer-songwriter, and Kara DioGuardi, a successful songwriter and former “American Idol” judge, the series aimed to discover and showcase the next big songwriting talent in the music industry.
Here is an overview of the show:
“Platinum Hit” followed a typical reality competition format where a group of aspiring songwriters competed against each other in various challenges to create hit songs. Contestants were judged based on their songwriting skills, creativity, and ability to craft lyrics and melodies that resonated with audiences.
The show featured diverse aspiring songwriters from various backgrounds and music genres, including pop, rock, country, and hip-hop. These contestants hailed from different parts of the United States and brought their unique musical perspectives to the competition.
Each episode of “Platinum Hit” presented the contestants with a specific songwriting challenge. These challenges often included writing lyrics and composing melodies within a tight timeframe. Contestants were required to collaborate, even if their musical styles clashed, adding complexity to the competition.
The judging panel consisted of industry professionals who evaluated the contestants’ work, including Kara DioGuardi, Jewel, and guest judges who were prominent figures in the music industry. The judges provided feedback and critiques to help the contestants grow as songwriters.
Guest judges included Donna Summer, Evan Bogart, Jermaine Dupri, Leona Lewis, Natasha Bedingfield, Ryan Tedder, and Taio Cruz.
At the end of each episode, one or more contestants were eliminated based on their performance in the challenge. The contestant who failed to meet the judges’ expectations or whose work was deemed the weakest would be asked to leave the competition.
The ultimate goal for the contestants was to win the title of “Platinum Hit” and receive a prize package that typically included a publishing deal, a cash prize, and a recording opportunity to help kickstart their music career.
While “Platinum Hit” only ran for one season, it contributed to the reality TV landscape by focusing on the often-overlooked skill of songwriting in the music industry. The show offered viewers insight into the creative process behind hit songs and the challenges faced by songwriters.
Platinum Hit Cast Members
Following is a list of the primary cast members for the show.
- Kara DioGuardi – Lead judge
- Jewel Kilcher – Host and Judge
- Amber Ojeda
- Blessing Offor
- Brian Judah
- Jackie Tohn
- Jes Hudak
- Johnny Marnell
- Karen Waldrup
- Melissa Rapp
- Nevin James
- Nick Nittoli
- Scotty Granger
- Sonyae Elise – Winner
List of Platinum Hit Episodes
The Platinum Hit series ran for one season with ten episodes. Each episode was 60 minutes in length. All of the episodes are available to watch on Amazon Video.
- E1 – This Is Platinum Hit – In the first episode, Jewel and Kara meet a group of aspiring songwriters who will compete in the competition. They give the group their first challenge, to write a song hook inspired by the city of Los Angeles. Also, the competitors must join forces to co-write a song. This episode also includes guest judges Jermaine Dupri and Trevor Jerideau.
- E2 – Dance Floor Royalty – The aspiring songwriters are challenged to write a dance club anthem. Donna Summer sits in as a celebrity judge to determine who wrote the best son. In an exciting twist, the writers must also perform the song in an actual club to see if it gets everyone up on their feet.
- E 3 – Wheels Up – The contests must write a hook inspired by the American road trip. They head out on the open road, and the pressure builds. Natasha Bedingfield joins as a celebrity judge.
- E4 – Rap Heroes – The contestants are challenged to showcase their rapping skills for guest judge Rodney Jerkins. However, some don’t take it as seriously as others.
- E5 – The L Word – First, the songwriters are asked to write a love song. Yet, for the first time, a surprise twist makes the challenge more difficult.
- E6 – We Are Risk Takers – The contestants must display their skills on the streets of Los Angeles.
- E7 – Somebody Is Lying – The group has to write and pitch a song to Gavin DeGraw and Evan Bogart. However, some think they are being sabotaged.
- E8 – Kiss the Flame – Only five musical artists remain. Guest judge Colbie Calliat joins to hear the writers pitch their songs to stay in the game.
- E9 – Make It Pop – In this episode, the contestants must work alone to write a pop song. However, their music will be judged by a group of high school students. Also, Taio Cruz joins to help make the final decision.
- E10 – The Winner Takes It All – In the season finale, the final three must write a song defining their life. Leona Lewis joins as a judge to help decide the winner.
Production Company and Executive Producers
The series was created and produced by Evan Bogart.
Critical Response and Awards
- The series is rated 6.7 out of 10 stars on IMDB and 7.2 out of 10 stars on TV.com
- Amazon Video viewers give the series 3.5 out of 5 stars
Facts and Trivia
Following is a list of little-known facts and trivia about the show and its cast members.
- The series was originally titled Hitmakers. Then it was changed to Going Platinum and then finally to Platinum Hit.
For more information, visit Bravo’s official page for the series.
Questions & Comments
If you have any questions, comments, or feedback about the Platinum Hit series, please post a message below. View the full list of shows on Bravo.