“Xscape: Still Kickin’ It” is a reality TV series on Bravo. The series follows the four original members of the multi-platinum hit 90’s girl singing group Xscape. After 18 years apart, the group reunites and prepares to return to the stage.
Bravo positioned the show to be a triumphant return to the spotlight for the iconic ’90s R&B girl group Xscape, but instead, it fell flat, leaving fans and newcomers alike wondering what could have been. Despite the potential for a deep dive into the complexities of reunion and redemption, the four-part series ended up being a superficial gloss-over of past triumphs and present tensions, lacking the depth and authenticity that could have made it compelling.
Once the group gets back together, they quickly realize they still have unresolved issues. There is tension almost immediately about everything from punctuality to the set lineup to who’s in charge. Will the group be able to reconcile their past differences? Since the group’s breakup, Kandi continues to work on being a songwriter and successful entrepreneur, but is her voice ready to be in the spotlight again?
The group had two weeks to rehearse for a performance at the BET Award show. Ultimately, the group could pull things together, and the performance at the BET Awards went “OK.” However, Kandi’s voice was not up for the challenge, nor did she grasp the choreography. She delivered a noticeably poor performance.
Executive Producers and Production Companies
Monami Entertainment and Truly Original produced the Xscape Still Kickin’ It series.
List of Cast Members
Following is a list of the primary cast members for the show.
- Kandi Burruss – Kandi Burruss, a multi-talented powerhouse and an award-winning songwriter, singer, and entrepreneur
- LaTocha Scott
- Tameka ‘Tiny’ Cottle
- Tamika Scott
List of Episodes
The series consists of one season with four episodes.
- Episode 1 – Xscape Is Back! – After they decide to reunite, the women begin rehearsing. However, they quickly realize they still have some old issues (otherwise, Bravo wouldn’t have invested time and money in this show).
- Episode 2 – Off to a Bad Start – First, the ladies continue to prepare for their performance at the BET Awards. They spend more time arguing about the past than rehearsing. Meanwhile, Kandi and Tocha struggle to work together. Then, Mama Joyce offers her unsolicited opinion.
- Episode 3 – Unauthorized and Unhappy – The ladies speak with Jermaine Dupri, their former producer. Dupri decided to allow an unauthorized TV movie to use their music. Kandi and Tamika fight about their wardrobe. As the ladies prepare to take the stage, drama ensues as one of the hubbies fails to appear.
- Episode 4 – Kickin’ It One Last Time – The group’s performance at the BET Awards was unsuccessful. Then, the group begins preparing for another Essence Festival show. Tamekia’s daughter gets married. An unexpected interruption ruins the show in Detroit.
Critical Response, Awards, and Ratings
The series has a rating of 6.9 out of 10 stars on IMDB. The show did not win any awards.
Ultimately, “Xscape Still Kickin’ It” disappointed those hoping for a meaningful exploration of one of R&B’s most beloved groups. Instead of delivering a rich, insightful look at Xscape’s legacy and the challenges of staging a comeback, the series succumbed to the lowest common denominators of reality television.
- Visit the show’s Official Website for more information about the cast and individual episodes.
Questions and Comments
If you have any questions about the Xcape Still Kickin’ It Bravo TV series, please post a comment below.