Recipe for Deception is a reality cooking competition TV series that ran on Bravo in 2016. In each episode, four new chefs compete in three elimination rounds. The chefs are asked to create a dish featuring a main ingredient. However, none of the chefs know what that ingredient is. The competing chefs have to ask each other three yes or no question to try and figure out the mystery ingredient. Similar to the game “Two truths and a lie”, the chefs that answer the questions answer two of the questions honestly and lie about the third.
The judges assess each of the chef’s creations based on the overall quality and how well they incorporate their secret ingredient. The winner of the competition takes home a $10,000 award. Jonathan Waxman calls it “The thinking person’s chef show.”
Following is a list of the primary cast members for the show.
- Max Silvestri, Host
- Chris Oh, Judge
- Jonathan Waxman, Judge
List of Episodes
The Recipe for Deception series ran for only one season with a total of 10 episodes. All of the episodes from Season one are available to stream online at Amazon Video.
- Episode 1 – Cooks Can Be Deceiving
- Episode 2 – Masters of Deception (with Master Chefs Art Smith, Rick Moonen, Lorena Garcia, and Bryan Voltaggio)
- Episode 3 – To Each His Chicharrones
- Episode 4 – Liar, Liar, Pans on Fire
- Episode 5 – You’re Bacon Me Crazy
- Episode 6 – Celebrity Edition (with Coolio, Lou Diamond Phillips, Steve Howey, and Alanna Ubach)
- Episode 7 – Sweet Deceit
- Episode 8 – Two Truths and a Lentil
- Episode 9 – We Can Pickle That
- Episode 10 – In the Can
Production Company and Executive Producers
The Recipe for Deception series was produced by Embassy Row and Realizer Productions. The executive producers were Matt Berkowitz, Michael Davies and Shauna Minoprio.
Critical Response and Awards
The series was not very well received by the audience and was cancelled at the end of the first season. Following are some of the ratings from viewers:
- The series has a rating of 4.5 out of 10 stars on IMDB
- Amazon Video viewers give the series a rating of 3 out of 5 stars
Facts and Trivia
Following is a list of little-known facts and trivia about the show and its cast members.
- Josh Altman, one of the brokers from Million Dollar Listing Los Angeles, appeared as a celebrity judge.
Questions & Comments
If you have any questions, comments, or feedback about the Recipe for Deception series, please post a message below. Also, check out other Bravo Cooking shows.